A Holistic Approach to Supporting Animals
This article has been submitted by Patrick Bailey, a professional writer mainly in the fields of mental health, addiction, and living in recovery. Patrick attempts to stay on top of the latest news in the addiction and the mental health world and enjoys writing about these topics to break the stigma associated with them.
Supporting animals and the planet is possible whether you are making small daily choices or participating in large scale movements. Countless animal abuses occur throughout the world and it is possible to make a difference by educating yourself and getting involved. If you want to advocate for animal welfare, take a holistic approach using the ideas below to impact global animal rights, improve your own health, and take a stand for a great cause.
Eat Well to Save Animals
Healthy eating is much more motivating as it is no longer just about us as individuals. By changing the way we eat, we impact the health of the planet and other animals on it. You can take a holistic approach with your health simply by choosing to eat more plant-based. Choosing whole plant foods impacts your health and fitness while also:
- Reducing waste created by packaged products
- Supporting animal welfare and reducing the effects of animal agriculture
- Driving environmentally-friendly market changes
- Supporting local farmers and their families
- Preventing disease in yourself and others
Whether you add some vegetables to your grocery list this week or take the leap and convince your loved ones to go vegan, moving towards plant-based eating protects yourself and other animals on Earth.
Take Care of Yourself… And Them
Animals are just as valuable to support us as we are to them. It is damaging to your psyche if you are an animal lover plagued by news of animal abuse around the world, but there are effective steps you can take to support yourself individually and them at the same time. Even if you haven’t considered the connections between animals and our mental health, science is developing to show humane ways to utilize animals for our good as well. Consider these options if you are an animal advocate on your own mental health journey:
- Adopt a shelter animal for your own comfort and company
- Consult with your therapist or treatment center if you are eligible for a trained support animal that is treated humanely
- Advocate for therapy dogs to come to your workplace for an event
- Volunteer at an animal shelter or adoption center
Advocating for animal welfare is more effective now than ever with social media at our fingertips. Your opinions can be heard and hold great weight if you are active online or at advocacy events. If you’d love to contribute to animal welfare causes, consider these easy ways to get involved and advocate in your own way:
- Get involved in World Animal Day and other awareness celebrations
- Donate to animal rights causes
- Challenge those around you to eat more plant-based (or even better, lead by example)
- Adopt animals in need and encourage others to do so
- Vote with your dollar and avoid companies that abuse animals
- Attend protests or lobbying events to impact political decisions
- Share news and animal rights progress online to inspire others
Advocating for animal welfare can go far beyond feeling frustrated at the abuse you see. Taking a holistic approach using the methods above can help you feel confident in making a difference and will ensure the safety of animals in more ways than one.