The objectives of SPANA Ethiopia project on animal welfare include:
1. To provide clinical care and general welfare to working animals of most affected towns in Ethiopia
2. To implement programmes in animal welfare, humane education and community training programmes for adult livestock owners and cart horse drivers and education programmes for school children
3. Provision of education on empathy enhancement and humane aspects to school children and where possible their teachers
4. To undertake baseline development research on the problems of working animals, implements, carts and education of all stakeholders
5. To provide/co-operate a clinical and theoretical learning opportunities for undergraduate veterinary students and veterinary professionals
6. To humanely carryout the euthanasia and disposal of terminally sick/abandoned animals.