Ethiopia Celebrates World Animal Day
World Animal Day (WAD) was celebrated on October 6, 2016 in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The event was mainly celebrated by holding media forum on the topic “Public and institutional integration for animal welfare protection”. The media forum got media coverage mainly by the Ethiopian Broadcasting Corporation and many other radio transmissions and print medias.
The event was organized by the Ministry of Livestock and Fisheries in Ethiopia, SPANA Ethiopia, Brooke Ethiopia, the DS Ethiopia, EVA and SAW. There were more than 70 participants from different goverment institutions and non-governmental organizations.
Topics presented and discussed in the forum:
- What is Animal Welfare? By Dr. Asmamaw Kasaye, Programme Manager, Donkey Sanctuary Ethiopia
- Existing situations of Animal Welfare in Ethiopia by Dr. Nigatu Aklilu, Country Director of SPANA Ethiopia, WAD Ambassador in Ethiopia
- Implications of poor Animal Welfare in Ethiopia by Dr. Hadgu Mandefro, Livestock Identification, Traceability and Welfare Directorate Director, Ministry of Livestock and Fisheries
- Public health implications of poor animal welfare particularly the case of Rabies – Dr. Mesfin Zewdu, Zoonotic Disease Control and Prevention expert in the Veterinary Public Health Directorate of the Ministry of Livestock and Fisheries.
- Current Developments and Opportunities Regarding Animal Welfare in Ethiopia: Presented by Mr. Tibebu Debebe, Country Representative of Brooke Ethiopia
- Current Situation of Legal Coverage of Animal Welfare in Ethiopia and progresses towards adopting an Animal Welfare Legislation by Mr. Belete Seyfu, Directorate Director of Legal Affairs, Ministry of Livestock and Fisheries.
- Challenges and way forward by Dr. Hadgu Mandefro, Livestock Identification, Traceability and Welfare Directorate Director, Ministry of Livestock and Fisheries
- Contact Name: Dr. Nigatu Aklilu
- Contact Number: 2.5193E+11
- Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Location: Debre Zeit
- Organised by: Nigatu A Atlaw