World Animal Day - a special opportunity for everyone who cares about animals
“Forests and Livelihoods: Sustaining People and Planet.”
Start Date :October 1, 2021
End Date :October 9, 2021
Time : 2:00 am to 11:00 am
Contact Name:Yimesgen Tarekegn
Location : Ethiopia - Addis Ababa
World Animal Day Celebration in Ethiopia
In Ethiopia, WAD’s commemoration started not long ago. Official records show that few international animal welfare charities used to celebrate the day long before the former Ethiopia’s Ministry of Livestock and Fisheries did during 2010, through its Livestock Identification and Traceability Systems Directorate and the National Animal Welfare Working Technical Working Group.
It is since 2010 that the government, private sector, international charities and other interested organizations have started commemorating WAD in unison and in an organized fashion at various cities of Ethiopia, with the use of different themes. Some of these include:
- “I care for animals” – 2012 (Addis Ababa);
- “Animals also have roles in ensuring development” – 2013 (Hawassa);
- “Legal protection for better animal welfare practices” – 2014 (Dire Dawa);
- “Animal welfare education for better animal welfare practices” – 2015 (Mekelle):
- “Animal welfare legislation: Legal structures and local by-laws” – 2016 (Shashemene); and
- “Public and institutional integration for animal welfare protection” - 2017 (Addis Ababa).
These events were very well known for promoting animal welfare messages and agendas through media advertisements, flyers, posters, public demonstrations, and media programs. During this year, WAD is being commemorated by providing educational, awareness-raising and technical information about the interconnectedness of forests and livelihoods for the sustenance of people and the planet through a panel discussion, promotional materials and media campaigns (social and mainstream media). This year’s theme is “Forests and Livelihoods: Sustaining People and Planet” and is being celebrated with a focus on these top agendas:
- Wildlife and forest conservation practices and modernization of agricultural production systems;
- Trending animal welfare practices, environmental protection and policy directions;
- Role of livestock production systems for ensuring food security in the face of climate change; and
- GO-NGO-Private Sector partnership for development of animal welfare practices and livestock production systems.
This year the event is organized by Ministry of Agriculture, Ethiopia in collaboration with Ethiopian Veterinary Association, Brooke Ethiopia, Elnet Foundation and International Livestock Research Inistitute. The event will have a panel discuss on the them of the day and a visit at Addis Zoo Park, a place in Addis Ababa to appriciate a wildlife welfare parctice.
Listed in Event Continent: Africa