The role of a World Animal Day Ambassador
World Animal Day - a special opportunity for everyone who cares about animals
Our wonderful team of World Animal Day Ambassadors are volunteers who carry out two primary roles:
- Create awareness of the World Animal Day movement and its mission to raise the status of animals, in order to improve welfare standards around the globe.
- Encourage animal welfare organisations, community groups, youth & children’s clubs, businesses & individuals to organise events in celebration of this special day.
You can read more about the types of events that are held around the world on the About page.
Most Ambassadors are people who hold key roles within animal welfare organisations and therefore benefit from the help and support of colleagues. Please be assured that we do not expect Ambassadors to do something for World Animal Day every day of the year! As you may have seen on the website, each Ambassador is allocated their own page to provide information about their organisation's animal welfare work and below you will find a list of the type of tasks we ask Ambassadors to carry out.
- Contact organisations, schools, groups, clubs, sanctuaries and individuals to encourage them to organise events in celebration of, or to mark, World Animal Day, on or around 4th October (including non-animal related groups such as Brownies, Scouts, and other community groups);
- Contact animal-related websites and encourage them to create a website link to help spread the message about the World Animal Day movement;
- Contact celebrities in their country asking them for a written pledge of support, accompanied by an image, that can be added to the website ‘Celebrity Support’ page, to help maintain a truly international feel;
- Submit articles to newspapers, magazines, radio and television leading up to 4th October in order to maximise media coverage which, in turn, will increase involvement in celebrations.
- Organise an event each year in celebration of this special day.
- Engage with the World Animal Day social media channels.
World Animal Day Ambassadors can apply for the annual World Animal Day Grant sponsored by Naturewatch Foundation
Please note: To be considered for the role of a World Animal Day Ambassador, it’s essential that the person to be nominated is a registered and approved member of the website and has been involved with the organisation of at least one World Animal Day event that’s been advertised on the website.